Assessment of Health Care Organization (HCO) meeting CLAS guidelines
How well is your HCO meeting CLAS guidelines?
Complete the following 10 item questionnaire in an APA compliant document, include examples and/or copies of documents and reference your sources to support your assessment. Conclude with an overall assessment using a Likert scale to rate your HCO and your recommendations for improvement.
Using the four major categories as headers assess your HCO (see the CLAS link) and use examples of how your organization meets the criteria. Does your HCO have a Local Board of Health subcommittee on CLAS?
1. Principal Standards
2. Communication and Language
3. Engagement and continuous improvement
Does your HCO have a formal grievance procedure?
1. What is your HCO’s population size?
HCA has a 35 million annual patient encounters
2. Does your HCO have a forma quality improvement plan for culturally & linguistically diverse clients?
3. What is the mission statement of your HCO and does it address CLAS?
Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
4. What CLAS training programs has your HCO conducted and with what frequency?
StaRN, (program to train new nurses), couple times a year
5. Obtain a policy from your HCO that addresses CLAS
HCA Healthcare was one of the first healthcare organizations to adopt a mandatory flu safety policy and the first national organization to do so, resulting in recognition by the National Patient Safety Foundation.
6. Are cultural differences and preferences considered in the assessment and treatment of your clients served? This would include, specific healers, alternative and complementary treatment, written materials, culturally responsive strategies. Give examples
Yes, written material in different languages is given to non-English speakers, also a language line is used.
7. How does your HCO assess and monitor CLAS i.e. what quality improvement activities are in place to monitor compliance with CLAS guidelines?
HCAHPS survey in their languages
8. Does you HCO have a diversity plan? What is the cultural/racial makeup of your staff?
The staff at HCA is very diverse, the one specific to my hospital is made up of Americans, Hispanics, Haitians, some Russian and some Asians among others.
On a scale of 1-10 with one being the least compliant with CLAS guidelines and 10 being the most compliant with CLAS guidelines, rate your HCO.