Discussion: Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
It is estimated that more than 6% of the U.S. population will experience posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in their lifetime (National Center for PTSD, 2010). This debilitating disorder often interferes with an individual’s ability to function in daily life. Common symptoms of anxiousness and depression frequently lead to substance abuse issues and even physical ailments. For this Discussion, as you examine the Thompson Family Case Study in this week’s Learning Resources, consider how you might assess and treat clients presenting with PTSD.
- Assess clients presenting with posttraumatic stress disorder
- Analyze therapeutic approaches for treating clients presenting with posttraumatic stress disorder
- Evaluate outcomes for clients with posttraumatic stress disorder
- Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide.
- View the media Academic Year in Residence: Thompson Family Case Study, and assess the client in the case study.
- For guidance on assessing the client, refer to pages 137–142 of the Wheeler text in this week’s Learning Resources.
Note: To complete this Discussion, you must assess the client, but you are not required to submit a formal Comprehensive Client Assessment.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts, and cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking Submit!
By Day 3
Post on or before Day 3 an explanation of your observations of the client William in Thompson Family Case Study, including behaviors that align to the PTSD criteria in DSM-5. Then, explain therapeutic approaches you might use with this client, including psychotropic medications if appropriate. Finally, explain expected outcomes for the client based on these therapeutic approaches. Support your approach with evidence-based literature.