Use Your Selected Community from the Physical Environment assignment.
Communication as a subsystem can influence personal health choices among all ages. This subsystem is often used to promote health by sharing information about community health fairs and health education opportunities. Health professional students will gain an understanding about communication influences on determinants of health and explore ways communication systems can be used to promote and support health. Mayor Franklin Hill is available to share insight about communication in Sentinel City® (SC).
1. Review the following resources:
a. Course textbook and/or other assigned readings
b. Review social determinants of health
c. Review CDC website: E.coli (Escherichia coli) at https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/
d. Meet with Mayor Hill to learn about communication in SC®
2. Enter SC® and begin the bus tour of your selected neighborhood within SC®.
3. Tour the neighborhood, explore all types of communication efforts within the neighborhood. What types of advertisements and billboards do you observe? Are there indications of mass communication? If signs or billboards are present, what issues are addressed? Compare to the rest of Sentinel City.
4. Identify formal and informal methods for communicating health information to children and adults (See Case Scenario below, research the definition of formal and informal communication).
5. Using an evidence-based approach, develop a newspaper, poster, billboard or radio public service announcement.
6. Contact your Academic Coach if you require clarification.